In order to ensure a safe and pleasant trip for everyone, we ask that you observe a few courtesies:
- Do not step out in front of any bus.
- Please board the bus at the front door only.
- For your own safety, please exit through the rear door, wait for the bus to depart and cross the street behind the bus at the nearest crosswalk. Do not step out in front of any bus.
- Please have exact fare, current Virginia Tech ID, VCOM ID, transfer, or monthly pass ready when boarding.
- Traffic does not stop for Blacksburg Transit buses while passengers are disembarking, so please look before crossing the street behind the bus.
- Please do not stand in the rear doorway or ahead of the white standee line.
- If you have to stand, always maintain a firm and secure grip on the handrails.
- The side-facing seats at the front of the bus are reserved for the elderly and persons with disabilities.
- Once the bus has pulled away from the stop, the driver may not open the doors again until arriving at the next BT stop.
- No tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes or similar products are allowed on/in any Blacksburg Transit vehicle or facility.
- Wheelchairs are to be secured to the floor on all Blacksburg Transit vehicles before service can resume.
- BT ACCESS requires that all passengers wear seatbelts for the duration of their trip.
- Baby strollers are to be folded and stowed securely on all Blacksburg Transit vehicles.
- Service Animals - Blacksburg Transit has a "No Pets" policy on all BT vehicles. BT does allow the use of a service animal by a person with a disability following ADA guidelines. Service animals must be under the control of the handler. Using a leash with a collar, a service harness, or riding in a suitable pet carrier are examples of how a service animal may be under the control of their handler. The animal may be excluded from riding any BT vehicle due to disruptive or dangerous behavior. Under the ADA, emotional support, therapy and companion animals are not considered to be service animals.
- All passengers are required to wear a shirt and shoes while riding Blacksburg Transit vehicles.
- Please help keep the vehicle clean by placing litter in the trash can located at the front of the vehicle.
- Please refrain from obscene or offensive language.
- Items not permitted on BT vehicles:
- Full or empty containers of flammable or hazardous chemicals such as gasoline cans
- Vehicle batteries
- Open alcoholic and non-alcoholic containers; liquids should be in a closed, spill-proof container
- Weapons of any kind such as large knives or swords displayed openly
Blacksburg Transit would like to remind all passengers that disruptive behavior on any vehicle will not be tolerated. Passengers who fail to act in an orderly manner may be removed from the vehicle and their fare will not be returned. Blacksburg Transit reserves the right to suspend bus privileges for disruptive behavior.
Bus Stop Alerts
Occasionally, bus routes may be detoured, suspended, or enhanced due to traffic and/or weather conditions. Should this occur, please look for posted color-coded information flyers at or near your bus stop. The colors are as follows:
- Red – Bus Stop Closed: Used when bus stop is not accessible by the route bus.
- Blue – Temporary Bus Stop: Used to complement a closed bus stop. This stop is not used during regular service.
- Yellow – Rider Alert: Used to update passengers of service changes.
- Green – Service Alert: Used to update passengers of service improvements.